On-Site Dental Care For Children
Lumina HealthCare, through our KidsCare program, arranges for convenient, on-site dental care for children in schools.. Lumina HealthCare utilizes the latest technology and portable equipment to bring dental care to children in need through its KidsCare program and contracts with dentists and auxiliary staff especially trained to properly address the needs of children.
For Principals and Administrators: Click here to select a Dental Wellness Day you are considering for your school.
Lumina HealthCare is committed to providing comprehensive dental care and promoting oral health, education and prevention to underserved children. We believe that everyone deserves to have a healthy smile but when it comes to oral health, many children face significant challenges. Dental cavities, periodontal disease and other oral conditions, if left untreated, can lead to pain, infection and loss of function. These undesirable outcomes negatively impact a child’s learning, communication, nutrition, and self confidence. It is important that we address our children’s dental health at an early age as dental wellness will play a key role in their overall development. Teaching the children proper home care and focusing on the role of healthy diet and nutrition assists in developing good dental hygiene habits to last a lifetime. Assisting in the process of building responsibility for their daily dental hygiene is an important keynote in our KidsCare program.
Although efforts to promote community water fluoridation and increased use of fluoridated products have significantly improved the oral health of children in California and nationally over the past 50 years, the burden of oral disease, particularly cavities, continues to fall more heavily on children from poor, minority households. Many children from families living in poverty and facing language/cultural barriers as well as poor nutritional patterns often do not visit the dentist until much later, after primary teeth have started to decay.
According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry:
- Over 40% – 50% of children will be affected by tooth decay before age 5.
- A trip to the emergency room for crisis care is the first “dental visit” for over 25% of children seen in a children’s hospital.
- Of the 4 million children born each year, more than half will have cavities by the time they reach second grade.
- Oral health issues affect children in poverty and minorities far more than other groups.
Providing the dental care is the cornerstone of children’s oral health needs, but reviewing outcomes and monitoring professional performance and improvement over time is also of pivotal importance. Lumina HealthCare offers robust informational systems that can report and measure the results of our efforts to keep the children we serve in a state of good oral health.
What services are available especially for children?
- Initial screenings and annual examinations
- Digital x-rays
- Cleanings and fluoride treatment
- Oral hygiene instructions
- Fillings and crowns
- Simple oral surgery (extractions)
- Occlusal sealants
- Orthodontic screenings
For Parents: Prior to our visit at the school, we require a completed and signed Permission Form. Click here For Spanish; For English for a Permission Form. Complete the form for your child and click SUBMIT at the bottom of the form or print the completed form and FAX it to us at 888-492-2900 or email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the advantages of utilizing Lumina’s KidsCare program?
- Convenient, on-site, quality dental care by caring providers and support staff
- No charge to the organization for the services Lumina provides to the children
- All providers are approved Medi-Cal providers and Lumina will handle all billing to Medi-Cal, in addition to most other insurance carriers
- For those without dental insurance, KidsCare offers a special fee schedule
- Outcome reporting
- HIPAA and OSHA compliant
Click here for Lumina’s presentation to the Corona-Norco School Board to learn more about issues that are important for school boards.
For additional information please call us at 800-373-5400.